Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Some Suggestions for 2012

It's days like today when I'm reminded why I have a subscription to ESPN The Magazine.  Despite my obvious desire for either the Hope Solo or Gretchen Bleiler cover, I ended up with Jose Reyes, though.  I don't know why, maybe it's because I live in New York, but it sucked.  Other than that, though, this year's "Body Issue" was extremely solid.  In fact, I think it was the best one to date.  And that got me thinking, "Who's going to be in the 'Body Issue' next year?"  I have some suggestions, starting with our cover girl...

Danica Patrick (Auto Racing)
Next year is Danica's big move to NASCAR.  I don't know how that'll work out, but I'm pretty sure she'll still be Danica.
Candace Parker (Los Angeles Sparks)
The female CP3 would be another cover option.  Remember this, she just had a baby not too long ago.

Since 2012 is an Olympic year, I would imagine there will be several members of the U.S. Olympic team who jump into the national spotlight kind of the way Hope Solo did this summer.  I predict these four fill the role...
Allyson Felix (Track & Field)
There are a lot of hot women on the U.S. national track & field team (I could fill a list just with them), but Felix is picked for her potential London success, not to mention the fact that she's gorgeous.  Possibly another cover option, as well.
Rebecca Soni (Swimming)
Soni's one of the best breaststrokers in the world.  Unfortunately, very few people know that or even care.  But since I think she'll be one of the stars of London, her five minutes might end up getting extended beyond next summer.
Jen Kessy (Beach Volleyball)
Kerri and Misty get all the attention, but I'm hoping Kessy and April Ross are the other U.S. team in London if for no other reason than for the opportunity to look at Jen Kessy in a bikini.
Alex Morgan (Soccer)
The hottest non-goalie on the U.S. women's soccer team, Alex Morgan will probably be an Olympian in 2012, which gives us the opportunity to watch her play soccer for another summer.  (Sidebar, she's rumored to be dating Evan Longoria, an athlete-athlete pairing I'm completely on board with.)

As for the remaining four athletes that round out my 2012 Body Issue wish list....
Victoria Azarenka (Tennis)
The hot tennis player is a requirement.  This year it was Vera Zvonareva.  Other acceptable choices would include Caroline Wozniacki, Ana Ivanovic, Daniela Hantuchova and, of course, Maria Sharapova, who's already posed in the SI Swimsuit Issue, so that one's probably a stretch.
Natalie Gulbis (Golf)
I still contend golf isn't a sport.  That doesn't mean Natalie Gulbis isn't hot.  Other acceptable golf options include Paula Creamer and Michelle Wie.

Allison Baver (Short Track Speed Skating)
I didn't forget about winter sports.  ESPN has been kind enough to give us Julia Mancuso and Gretchen Bleiler in the last two years.  They also gave us Baver's ex-boyfriend, some guy named Ohno, this year.  She will remind us that once London ends, it's just 18 months until Sochi.

Kristi Leskinen (Freestyle Skiing)
Totally didn't know what sport Kristi Leskinen does.  Just knew she's an athlete.  Frankly, does it matter?  She obviosuly looks a lot better when not wearing winter clothes, a helmet and ski boots.

There'll obviously be male athletes in next year's "Body Issue," too, but let's face it, I don't care who any of the ones they select are.

No comments:

Post a Comment