Friday, July 10, 2015

The World Cup Parade

Of course I went to the Women's World Cup parade.  As I said to the woman standing next to me, who took a train from Rhode Island with her daughter at 5:45 this morning just to be at the parade, it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing.  You don't know when they're going to win again.  You hope it's four years from now, but, really, nobody knows.  It was the right move by the City to honor these women with the celebration they deserved.  

I actually ended up getting a pretty good spot along one of the guardrails.  Definitely not as far away as I was at the Giants and Yankees parades.  The best part?  There was a building and a tree right there, so I was in the shade!  The July as opposed to February or November thing worked out well too.

Not sure if I ended up on TV, which was a definite possibility based on where I was standing, but it did give me a pretty good vantage point for photos (although Ali Krieger didn't want to cooperate).

A bus came up from Jersey for Rutgers grad Carli Lloyd, and
even the Scarlet Knight was wearing a custom Carli Lloyd shirt.
Like I said, I had a pretty good spot.
Abby Wambach was on this float, too, but on the other side.
Hi, Alex!
I totally didn't even realize the Mayor and his wife were on this
float.  Too excited to see the actual World Cup.
Check out Hope's hat!
Best hat award?  Sydney Leroux.
This is the best shot of Krieger I got.  Sorry guys!
Nice touch to include Sky Blue FC, New York's NWSL team.
Since I'm never downtown, I figured I'd get a shot of the
Freedom Tower, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment