Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Junior and the Others

We've reached one of my favorite days of the year.  It's Baseball Hall of Fame announcement day!  I love reading all of the columns by actual voters in the days leading up to the announcement revealing their ballots and the people who, based on that, try to speculate who's going to get in.  This year will be even more of a joy.  Because one of the greatest players of his generation will be taking his beautiful swing and backwards hat to Cooperstown in July.

The Hall of Fame was created for players like Ken Griffey, Jr.  And I'm not just saying that because he was my favorite player growing up.  Griffey in his prime was the best player in the game, and it wasn't even close.  There's a reason why he was the only active player named to the All-Century Team in 1999.

One last Griffey story before I reveal my entire 2016 "ballot."  It was well known by many that Griffey was my favorite player.  When I lived in Connecticut and worked for the West Haven Twilight League, the league president, Vin Dilauro, was a full-season Yankees season ticket holder.  He occasionally offered me his tickets.  One of the games he had available tickets for was against the White Sox during the Yankees' final homestand of the 2008 season.  I knew I wanted to go to a game during the final homestand, since that would be the final time I set foot in the Old Yankee Stadium.  And I knew I wanted to see the White Sox because that was during the three months Griffey was on the team, and I had never seen him play live before.

So, my final game at the Old Yankee Stadium was also the only time I ever saw my favorite all-time player live.  Oh, and I went with my dad as his 60th birthday present.

With that, I present to you my 2016 Baseball Hall of Fame ballot.  Four of my top six selections from last year were elected, and with only Griffey and Trevor Hoffman among first-ballot candidates that I'm marking as a definite "yes," that leaves me with two spots, one of which goes to a first-timer, while the other goes to a long-time finalist who keeps falling just a bit short.  Now without further ado...

1. Ken Griffey, Jr., Outfielder (1989-99 Mariners, 2000-08 Reds, 2008 White Sox, 2009-10 Mariners): Duh.  Next question please.  The plaque is probably already done.  There's never been a unanimous Hall of Famer, and I don't expect Junior to be the first.  He'll come close to Tom Seaver's record 98.84 percent, though.  And he should.  Like Michael Jordan, you knew you were watching greatness every time Ken Griffey, Jr., took the field.

2. Barry Bonds, Outfielder (1986-92 Pirates, 1993-2007 Giants): He's not going to get in.  I know that.  But as long as Barry Bonds appears on the ballot, I'll put my hypothetical check mark next to his name.  Ken Griffey, Jr., and Barry Bonds were the two best players in baseball during the 1990s.  "Enhanced" or not, he's still an all-time great.  And he's still the all-time home run leader.

3. Roger Clemens, Pitcher (1984-96 Red Sox, 1997-98 Blue Jays, 1999-2003 Yankees, 2004-06 Astros, 2007 Yankees): Ditto about Roger Clemens.  He was an intimidating bad ass on the pitcher's mound.  A lot of starting pitchers have been elected recently (five in the last two years).  Clemens is right up there with all of them.  And, again, my opinion on the Steroid Era hasn't changed.  If Baseball was letting them do it, why are they labeled as "cheaters" now?

4. Jeff Bagwell, First Baseman (1991-2005 Astros): Bagwell's partner in crime, Craig Biggio, was finally elected last year, and many believe that since some of the ballot congestion has finally cleared up, this might be Bagwell's time.  There are those who feel Bagwell's numbers are suspicious, and have withheld their votes in the past because of those suspicions.  But the perception of Bagwell has started to change, and his support may finally grow.  Probably not enough for him to get in this year, but maybe enough for that to happen eventually.

5. Mike Piazza, Catcher (1992-98 Dodgers, 1998 Marlins, 1998-2005 Mets, 2006 Padres, 2007 Athletics): If Griffey's going to have company on the stage in Cooperstown, most experts think it'll be Mike Piazza that joins him.  While I never liked Piazza while he was playing, frankly, his election is long overdue.  He's the greatest hitting catcher in history.  Better than Johnny Bench.  Better than Gary Carter.  With no sure-fire names in front of him other than Griffey, I think this is the year Piazza gets in.

6. Trevor Hoffman, Pitcher (1993 Marlins, 1993-2008 Padres, 2009-10 Brewers): I thought there would be more support from Hoffman than there appears to be.  Apparently that closer stigma will haunt him at least until Mariano Rivera's without-a-doubt first-ballot election.  I was hoping he wouldn't have to wait for Rivera, but it looks like he will.  Even still, the second-best closer in history and his 601 career saves will safely remain on the ballot.

7. Mark McGwire, First Baseman (1986-97 Athletics, 1997-2001 Cardinals): My support for Bonds and Clemens is still stronger than it is for McGwire.  But of the other 32 players on the ballot, there aren't 22 that I would rank above him.  Thus, I "waste" another hypothetical vote on McGwire.  Maybe its a sentimental one for that memorable 1998 season.  At least we won't have to debate about McGwire's candidacy anymore.  This is his 10th and final year on the ballot.

8. Curt Schilling, Pitcher (1988-90 Orioles, 1991 Astros, 1992-2000 Phillies, 2000-03 Diamondbacks, 2004-07 Red Sox): Schilling or Mike Mussina is always a tough question when you get this far down the ballot and only have a couple spots left.  But I went with Schilling last year, and I don't believe in knocking guys off the ballot unless its for a first-year candidate.  So I stick with Schilling and his 11-2 postseason record (including a 7-0 mark in elimination games).

9. Tim Raines, Outfielder (1979-90 Expos, 1991-95 White Sox, 1996-98 Yankees, 1999 Athletics, 2001 Expos, 2001 Orioles, 2002 Marlins): Every once in a while, there's that player whose supporters finally wear down the other voters.  It happened for Bert Blyleven.  It didn't for Jack Morris.  It probably won't for Tim Raines, who only has two years left on the ballot.  But chalk me up as a Raines convert.  His numbers are definitely looked at somewhat unfairly, seeing as he was a contemporary of Rickey Henderson.  My appreciation of him is probably not what it should be because I don't remember the Tim Raines that played for the Expos in the 80s.  I only saw him later in his career when he was a completely different player.  But the wholehearted support he's received from some loyal writers and some room on my ballot finally freed up, I'm happy to include the name "Tim Raines" in this column for the first time.

10. Jim Edmonds, Outfielder (1993-99 Angels, 2000-07 Cardinals, 2008 Padres, 2008 Cubs, 2010 Brewers, 2010 Reds): As much as I love Larry Walker and Edgar Martinez and Jeff Kent (I respect Marty Noble, but a vote for only Griffey and Kent, calling them the only "elite" players on the ballot, is simply ridiculous), my final vote is a strategic one for Jim Edmonds.  Edmonds was not a Hall of Fame player.  I know that.  But he doesn't deserve to be one-and-done on the ballot, either.  My hope is that enough actual voters feel the same way and Edmonds stays on the ballot more than just one year.  He's not Ken Griffey, Jr.  He isn't Randy Winn, either.

Last year, I correctly predicted that all four Hall of Famers (Craig Biggio, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and John Smoltz) would be elected.  This year, the only certainty is Ken Griffey, Jr.  I think Mike Piazza will be elected, as well, with Jeff Bagwell falling just short of the necessary 75 percent.

No comments:

Post a Comment