Thursday, May 26, 2011

Number 100

Ladies and gentlemen, we've reached a milestone.  The day after Mariano appeared in his 1,000th game with the Yankees, we get Joe Brackets post No. 100!  When I started this thing, I didn't think it would end up being a sports-only blog, but that's quickly what it turned into.  And I've talked about a lot of sports since then.  So, now in true sitcom tradition, it's time for the 100th episode clip show.

My first six posts were all about baseball, and that sport has definitely provided me with most of my material.  There's been analysis of awards season and the Hall of Fame, as well as a division-by-division preview.  I've been philosophical, critical and hypothetical.  I've said plenty of things that people probably don't agree with.  I've also poked fun at plenty of people.  There's also been plenty about my beloved New York Yankees, a subject on which I could devote a blog unto itself.

But I didn't want this to be a blog that's just about baseball, and it hasn't been.  I know I'm one of the few people who actually cares, but hockey has provided me with plenty of content.  The NFL is always blog-worthy, and the lockout has been a gold mine!  I'm also a fan of college hoops, which has given me plenty (even if sometimes my predictions didn't really pan out).  Then there's tennis, which might be the only sport I've covered that draws less public interest than hockey!  I even did a blog about soccer.

I'm an Olympic junkee, and there's a running joke in my office that I could easily have the "Joelympics" blog, as well (maybe for London, who knows?).  It's an odd-numbered year, so there haven't been that many Olympic topics to talk about, but that hasn't stopped me.  And don't worry, the Olympic blogs will start to become more and more frequent as the London Games get closer.

A blog is a place to express your opinion, and I haven't been shy about doing that.  Some things were good, so I decided to give them their due praise.  Then there are the ideas that I think are bad, which I was quick to point out.  Nobody was spared.  I've jumped all over a guy who makes bad decisions (and has earned his own nickname), as well as the guy who caused a whole lot of trouble for a bowl game and the guy who whined about not getting his way (those guys were just begging me to break my "no college football" rule so badly that I had to oblige them).  You aren't off the hook Frank McCourt and Fred Wilpon, I just haven't gotten to you yet. 

I've also done a bunch of lists, which might be my favorites of all.  It started with my ranking of the Top 10 Games of 2010 then continued with the "Best Uniforms" series (baseball, hockey and football have all been ranked so far, and basketball will surely follow at some point).  Some of those lists were inspired by others, while others were just for fun.

It wasn't all fun and games, though.  This was my forum to discuss the loss of a legend, as well as to pay tribute to a late friend.  And the coincidental timing of a pair of anniversaries that both shook the sports world to its core was too much to ignore.  Fortunately, there was a happy anniversary, too, and I got a chance to celebrate the Vancouver Olympics not once, but twice!

Thanks to everyone who's read this blog, especially those of you who've been here from the start.  I hope you enjoyed the greatest moments of "Joe Brackets."  Rest assured, though, faithful readers.  Today's look back is just that.  I'm not going anywhere.  We'll get to 200, and I'm sure there'll be another 100 after that.  I'm looking forward to all the great moments that are yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment