Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Festival For the Fans

A lot of stuff went on while I was on my own personal little All-Star Break.  I obviously can't go without talking about the devastating positive drug tests of Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell.  Nor can I ignore the latest in the Biogenesis scandal, which is probably going to result in some pretty lengthy suspensions to start the 2014 season.  But I'll get to those later in the week.  First, I'll share with you what I've been up to over much of the past week.

Just like when Yankee Stadium hosted the All-Star Game in 2008, I partook in the festivities.  I worked as a volunteer at FanFest, which was just as enjoyable this time as it was five years ago.  I also went over to Citi Field and joined in the fun down there, attending my second All-Star Futures Game/Legends & Celebrity Softball Game.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of FanFest coming to your city (or been lucky enough to have it twice), it's a full interactive baseball experience.  You can test your baseball skills at various physical attractions or get an autograph from your favorite player.  Watch a radio show broadcast live or give one of the various trivia games a shot.  Or you can pay a visit to the collectors and check out the memorabilia on display.  Some of my favorite exhibits, though, were the museum-like displays about the Hall of Fame, Negro Leagues, Minor Leagues, etc.  There was literally something for everybody, even the quasi-baseball fan.  Here are some pictures from the weekend.

My favorite exhibit was the display of all the Major League Baseball
trophies, where they let you pose with the World Series trophy.
This is the World Baseball Classic championship trophy,
which has the three winners engraved on the bottom.
This beautiful glass bat is now the property of
Mariano Rivera, the All-Star Game MVP.
The only previous All-Star Game hosted by the Mets was at
Shea Stadium in 1964.

One of the coolest things at FanFest was the guy from Rawlings
demonstrating how to make a baseball.

Sorry Mets fans, but he was MVP.  (I took pictures of the
Harvey and Wright lockers, too.)

My view of the Futures Game from the Left Field Landing.
Lots of mascots.  Apparently Mr. Met got married during the offseason, too.
Diamondbacks third base prospect Matt Davidson was the MVP
of the Futures Game.
Setting up for some softball.
There were ex-Mets all over the place, but the Celebrity Softball
Game MVP was Josh Wege, who lost both of his legs in Afghanistan
and plays for the Wounded Warriors Softball Team.  A true hero.

Mets fans are a loyal bunch.  They deserved this.  It was nice to see them have something to cheer about for a weekend.  It was also great to see people show so much pride in being Mets fans.  This All-Star Game was as much for Mets fans as it was for anyone else.  And for their part, the Mets did a tremendous job as hosts.  Hopefully they won't have to wait 50 years to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment