Thursday, September 6, 2012

Images From Andy's Farewell

When he announced his retirement last week, I did a blog thanking Andy Roddick for his career and what he's meant to American tennis over the past decade.  Yesterday, I had the good fortune to attend his final match.  (Please note this post was delayed a day because I got wrapped up in the Giant game immediately once I got home.)  I can honestly say that it was something I'll never forget.  You don't get many of those moments in your lifetime, and it's even rarer when you know it as it's happening.  Even with a two-hour rain delay, it was a privilege to be in Arthur Ashe Stadium yesterday.

I know it's cliche, but the phrase "You had to be there" really applies in this case.  I took pictures, but they can only go so far in telling the story.  Pictures don't reveal how it felt to be part of that crowd chanting "Let's Go Andy" during his final service game.  And applauded him the entire time during the final changeover.  And immediately drowned out the 12 Argentinians when they started cheering for Del Potro.  And gave him an extended standing ovation as soon as the match ended.  Or the raw emotion listening to his farewell address.  I'll be honest, I started to tear up during his postmatch interview.

Regardless, I'm going to do the best I can to sum up the day in pictures...

Oh yeah, the day started with a certain hot, tall, blonde Russian.
Obviously off to a good start.

Yes, Maria won.  6-4 in the third.

During the warmup.

Just about to start the final game of Roddick's career.  (It wasn't
full, but it sure felt and sounded like it.)

That's it.  Del Potro wins.

Andy's standing ovation.

I don't think this one needs a description.

One of the classiest things I've ever seen in sports was Juan Martin
Del Potro stopping his own postmatch interview after one question
to give Andy his moment...

...then hanging around to be a part of it.  I gained a lot of respect
for Juan Martin Del Potro yesterday.

I'll forever refer to this as Andy Roddick's "Farewell Address."

Walking off the court one last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment