Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Random Musings

There are a lot of things that have been on my mind lately, so I figured that I'd take the opportunity to get them off my chest today.
  • NASCAR has told its drivers that they need to pick a series and declare it before the season begins.  I say it's a about time they did this.  Last year, Kyle Busch won all three races in one weekend and Carl Edwards finished second in the Nationwide Series standings and fourth in the Sprint Cup standings.  They used to call these Cup drivers who raced in the other circuits in the same weekend "Buschwhackers," but since it's called the Nationwide Series now, they need a new name.  Anyway, in baseball, they don't let you play in the minors and the majors at the same time, so why did NASCAR let you?  Besides, if the Nationwide Series is supposed to be the training ground, who exactly are you training if it's the same guys in both races?
  • They announced the "rosters" for the NHL All-Star Game.  Actually, I need to rephrase.  They announced the NHL all-stars.  This year, they're using that stupid format where the game is basically one giant fantasy game, except with actual players.  I don't like this idea (as I've said before), so I probably won't be watching.  However, the NHL Skills Competition is the best non-game All-Star Weekend event, so that's a can't-miss.
  • The Australian Open starts on Sunday night (technically Monday afternoon, but since I live on the East Coast of the United States, I'm going by New York time).  It seems too early to be tennis season already, but it's never too early to watch the likes of Maria Sharapova and Caroline Wozniacki.  And Rafael Nadal seems to be having some foot issue, so maybe Rafa won't make it a "Rafa Slam," which would make me very happy.
  • FIFA President Sepp Bladder called out the IOC for being corrput.  In other words, the pot called the kettle black.  Hello Sepp, your association is the one that just gave its marquee event to Qatar and is trying to convice people that there's nothing shady about the selection.  (Yes they were going to vote for Qatar before that bag full of cash arrived at their door.  Sure.)  At least the IOC is open about its blantant anti-Americanism.
  • Speaking of the IOC, Rio 2016 unveiled its Olympic logo during a crazy New Year's Eve party on Copacabana Beach (as if they needed another reason to go nuts on New Year's Eve in Rio).  It's already being criticized as "too simple," but I actually really like it.  And there's no comparison between the Rio logo and the monstrosities turned out by London and Sochi.




  • Happy Birthday Coach Slingbox!
  • I don't want anybody to win the Jets-Patriots game on Sunday.  I hate all things Boston, especially the ultra-annoying Bradicheck, but I'm already sick of the ridiculous Jets bandwagon, which is a completely fictitious thing being created by radio stations simply because they're in the playoffs.  I don't hate the Jets, but I'm not suddenly going to pretend I'm this Jets superfan either.  The Jets are the Mets of the NFL.  They just need to accept it and move on!
  • Finally, this one has nothing to do with sports, but I just wanted to throw it out there and see who agrees with me.  Aerosmith front man and new American Idol judge Steven Tyler looks exactly like Clifford the Muppet (Steven Tyler is on the left).


No comments:

Post a Comment