Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Happy World Series!

Well faithful readers (both of you), I'm back after an absence of a few days ready for what should be one of the better World Series we've seen in a while.  I can't believe I actually did this, but since Cablevision and FOX are still fighting (12 days and counting), I made a trip to Target and picked up an antenna for $19.95, just so I can watch the World Series.  With that and the $9.95 postseason.tv package on MLB.com, I'm officially ready to go.  (I'll have a very unhappy volleyball team on my hands when/if they find out I've ditched them to watch the baseball game, but who schedules a volleyball match during Game 1 of the World Series anyway?)

And I've finally decided which team I'm going to root for.  ESPN.com's Jayson Stark has convinced me.  I'm pulling for the Giants.  Plus, the greatest player in Giants history is Willie Mays, the greatest living ballplayer and the greatest centerfielder ever.  The best player in Rangers history?  It's a toss-up between Roger Pavlik and Jim Sundberg.  Just kidding, it's probably Pudge Rodriugez, who's no Willie Mays.  Besides, Willie Mays is always happy!  (Remember when he was laughing in the dugout after the earthquake during the '89 Series?)  Say Hey, San Fran!

I got some "heat" for not including the fact that Bengie Molina is guaranteed a ring in my last post, but I decided not to include that one since it's obvious.  Although, I do agree with the assertion that was made on ESPN.com earlier this week that neither team gets here without that trade.  It's the rare trade where you can't figure out who got the better of the deal, since both sides made out well.  It's just weird that they ended up on a collision course for the World Series.  Ring No. 5 for the Catching Molinas!

I will give you this nugget, though (which came to me as I was watching the other Giants on Monday night).  The Cowboys are home on Sunday afternoon, then the Rangers, who share the Cowboys' parking lot, host Game 4 of the World Series on Sunday night.  That also happened last year, when Philly fans got a double-dip of the Big Apple with Eagles-Giants then Phillies-Yankees.  (If you've never been, those stadiums are literally right next to each other.)  Since MLB moved the World Series to the stupid Wednesday start in 2007, this is the third time that there'll be a football game and World Series game scheduled in the same city on the same day.  In 2007 it didn't happen, but if they didn't get swept, the Rockies would've hosted Game 5 while the Broncos were hosting the Monday night game at the same time.  So, basically what I'm saying here is that any baseball team that shares a parking lot with a football team should ask the NFL to schedule the football team at home on the Sunday of the World Series next season (provided there actually is a next season in the NFL).

In other sports news, the (New York) Giants broke Tony Romo.  Boo-hoo!  The Cowboys are done anyway.  Brett Favre is an old man.  The three best teams in the NFL are all in the AFC (Jets, Steelers, Patriots).  And it's opening night in the NBA.  Whoop dee-damn-do!  I don't care at all about either the NBA or BCS football, so that might be the last NBA mention ever made on this blog unless I'm making fun of something stupid (like LeBron).

No comments:

Post a Comment